02 July 2022

Top Gun: Maverick (finally)

 In a departure from the reviews of movies from my bucket list I wanted to take the time to write a short review of the long awaited and highly anticipated Top Gun sequel. They've been talking about releasing this movie since 2020, I think, but it kept getting delayed. Nevertheless it was definitely worth the wait. Tom Cruise returned as Lieutenant Pete Mitchell, a.k.a. Maverick. I won't give too many details as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to see it. Maverick is recruited by his longtime friend Iceman (Val Kilmer) to train a new class of Top Gun pilots for what was billed as a suicide mission. In the new Top Gun group is the son of Maverick's deceased co-pilot Goose. The make-up/costume directors/casting directors did one heck of a job selling this actor as Goose's son (down to his rousing rendition of "Great Balls of Fire" on the piano at the bar). It was briefly explained why Goose's widow (played by Meg Ryan in the original) did not appear in the film (not going to spoil it). I heard that a lot of people were upset that Ryan was not tapped to reprise her role, but I honestly don't think she would have added much to the storyline. Also notably missing from a return appearance was Charlie (played by Kelly McGillis). But as with Ryan, I don't think a return by Charlie would have served any real purpose. Sometimes it is better to leave original characters out of a sequel than force them into a storyline where they do not really belong. Personally I applaud the writers for not forcing these characters into the plot. It helped to make the story more relevant to the modern era. But...if for some reason you have been living under a rock for the past 30+ years and never saw the original Top Gun it is an absolute must see before watching Maverick. There are too many references from the original that would confuse someone who has not seen it. With that said, for those who have seen Top Gun and at least enjoyed it I highly recommend Top Gun: Maverick. Overall rating: A+++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping Up 2023's Selections from the Bucket List

 As always - my apologies for not updating sooner. I haven't had as much time to watch movies as I would like. And I hate doing entries ...