31 December 2023

Wrapping Up 2023's Selections from the Bucket List

 As always - my apologies for not updating sooner. I haven't had as much time to watch movies as I would like. And I hate doing entries for only one film - so I wait until I have a few to add. We'll finish off 2023 with 6 films. At this count I have watched 71 of the 100 movies on the list (keeping in mind two entries are actually trilogies - so I have watched 73 of 102 officially). Only 29 more to go! I'm adding these 6 in order of date watched.

Leon: The Professional - I actually enjoyed this one - except for Natalie Portman's character. I get that it was part of the film, but I really didn't like her. The cinematography was really good so I can fully appreciate why this movie made the bucket list. Good chance I would watch this again at some point in the future. Overall grade: B+ / A-

The Great Dictator - This one was not easy to obtain (and in fact I actually ended up acquiring a Blu-Ray player because I could only find a Blu-Ray version). Of the remaining films on the list, I actually looked forward to watching it - it has a pretty good reputation. I was not disappointed. I found myself thoroughly amused by the similarities to a certain real-life dictator. I'm not overly familiar with the work of Charlie Chaplin, but I have liked the few things I have seen. Overall grade: A

The Departed - Given the number of F-bombs dropped in this movie, I am really surprised that Samuel L. Jackson didn't have a cameo (not that he would have fit in with the plot of the movie). There was no absence of stars in this movie. Overall it was pretty good - except for a bit of a rambling plot. Probably could have been a little bit shorter without truly impacting the story. Overall grade: B

Alien - Yes, you are probably surprised I have not watched this movie until recently. Keep in mind that Sci-fi is not my preferred genre when it comes to movies. With that said - I had no preconceived notions against that kept me from watching it. I factor in the fact that it was made in 1979 when reviewing because it was actually pretty blah for me as far as Sci-fi goes. Special effects simply weren't what we have today. With that said, I'm left with zero desire to watch it again or any of the sequels that it has spawned. Overall grade: C

Gladiator - Another one I probably should have seen a long time ago but never got around to watching. I'm glad this one was actually on the list because I enjoyed it for the most part. Again, like numerous other films, it probably could have been shorter without sacrificing the key points of the story. Seeing Joaquin Phoenix in this role reminds me of his versatility as an actor. I don't see him playing the same roles over and over again. I may not like everything he does, but overall I find many of his movies pretty good. As for Russell Crowe - he was way better in this than in Les Miserables (thank God he didn't have to sing in this one). Overall grade: A-

Trainspotting - I put this one in a similar category as Snatch from the previous entry. For sure there were parts that amused me - but for the most part I had a hard time following the overall story. I'm sure the Scottish accents played a significant part in adding to my confusion. At the end of the movie I can't say I really knew what the point of the movie was...but I wouldn't say that it was terrible. I like Ewan McGregor - so that certainly helped. Will I watch it again? Maybe after my trip to Scotland next year when I have had more exposure to the accent. Overall grade: C

There you have it - the last 6 movies of 2023. I'm slowly making my way through the list. There are a lot more spaces that have been scratched off than note so I have made progress since starting the challenge - even if it is taking me longer than I hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping Up 2023's Selections from the Bucket List

 As always - my apologies for not updating sooner. I haven't had as much time to watch movies as I would like. And I hate doing entries ...