03 July 2021

Recap of Day Two of the Movie Marathon

 On the second day of my marathon I had much more time to watch movies. I started in the early afternoon after wrangling my poor pug to the groomers to get a dreaded nail trim/grinding. In total I managed to scratch four more films off of the poster. Here are my thoughts...

The Goonies: I'm sure there are plenty of you thinking how is it possible that I have not seen this movie yet, considering I was old enough to have watched it when it came out. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure of the answer. For some reason I had some pre-conceived notion that I would hate it (kind of like why I never saw The Princess Bride until 2008 or 2009...but to the dismay of a great many people I actually did hate that one). With The Goonies I found myself wondering why I had resisted watching it for so long. I enjoyed the movie, however, I'm still not a fan of Corey Feldman. Never really was. Overall rating: B+.

Little Miss Sunshine: Didn't have an opinion of this movie prior to watching. I'm not sure I had ever heard of it prior to looking at the poster. I like Greg Kinnear and Steve Carrell most of the time. It was definitely a cute movie...and I was surprised by the ending. I think my overall rating for this one is an A-. Could have been better in some places...but worth watching. 

Wall-E: Disclaimer prior to my review...I haven't watched many animated movies (Disney or otherwise) since about 1994 (after The Lion King). I'm not a fan of most of the offerings since that time. There are some exceptions but Wall-E is not one of them. I liked the main character generally speaking, however, I thought he was a poor imitation of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit. I just could not get into it and the repetitive underlying message about the dangers of climate change kind of annoyed me. It's a good message in small doses but they really hit you over the head with it in this movie. The animation itself was pretty good...no issue with that. Overall rating D+. I expect better from Disney Pixar.

Casablanca: A true Hollywood classic. My only true critique of this movie was the overuse of its most famous quote. I was under the impression it was only said once not several times in rapid succession. I liked the characters and the storyline. In some ways it kind of reminds me of another film (probably unknown to a great many people) The Battle of Algiers. But since I'm fairly certain Casablanca came first I will make the assumption that perhaps it was an inspiration for Franz Fanon (or maybe not, not like I can ask the guy). Overall rating: A.

Coming up next will be the review of the final two movies I watched that weekend. After 8 I kind of got burnt out and couldn't watch anymore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping Up 2023's Selections from the Bucket List

 As always - my apologies for not updating sooner. I haven't had as much time to watch movies as I would like. And I hate doing entries ...